Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

Men's Crochet and Basketweave Scarf

An area that could use a lot of development is crochet menswear. It can sometimes be difficult to find a pattern that is more masculine to wear or to create. Of course gentlemen should feel free to wear whatever they like in whatever color they enjoy, but the simple styles that many men prefer are hard to come across. I am the sort of person who believes that anyone should be able to crochet without fear of judgement, whatever your gender or age. Sometimes folks run into opposition from clueless jerks who portend that crochet is only practiced, and should only be practiced, by little old ladies. Not true! Just like colors, crochet is for everyone! Perhaps an explanation for the lack of masculine patterns is the lack of variety in fashion for men in general. It seems to me that in every store I visit women have more clothing options.

One stitch that I have found works well for masculine items is the basketweave stitch. It is bold and clean. I decided to make a basketweave scarf for my dear husband.


The fabric is very cushion-y and flexible. I have heard some people claim that no crochet can hope to rival the flexibility of knitting. To them I say, meet the basketweave! For this particular scarf I used wool.


What are your favorite stitches and patterns for men?

Update: By request, there is now a tutorial for the basketweave stitch.

12 comments:

  1. Ooh, I really want to learn how to do this one! Is there a tutorial you would suggest? Cause I royally suck at following the basic written instructions for crochet stitches...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how the tutorial works for you. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Same here! I love crocheting, but written instructions just make me confused. I'm a visual learner. I've crocheted since I was 11 and I'm going on 24 now! People ALWAYS make fun and call me a little old lady, but I don't care! I've taught two of my dearest friends to crochet so I'm not the only young'un doing it! :P This is beautiful! I'd love to make one for my husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a tutorial up now. I hope it helps you out! Crochet pride!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing.I will also try and make this men scarf for my father.Thanks once again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this pattern. And just so you all know ladies will like this too. Lol. I have made one with Caron Cakes yarn. Made a slouchy hat to match. Turned out great. I'm starting a second one with Caron Cakes Blueberry Cheesecake yarn. Love this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am confused. I cannot find the written instructions. Help!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tutorial is in another post:
      https://illuminatecrochet.blogspot.com/2013/07/special-edition-basketweave-tutorial.html?showComment=1513965756327#c808175997936475862

      Delete
  6. Help!! I am confused. I do not see the written pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tutorial is in another post:
      https://illuminatecrochet.blogspot.com/2013/07/special-edition-basketweave-tutorial.html?showComment=1513965756327#c808175997936475862

      Delete

Please share! Note that due to spam moderation there is a delay in comment posting.