Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

Friday Focus: Britni Husband

It's Friday! That means it's time to celebrate another clever crocheter. This Friday I want to focus on someone whose imaginative work caught my eye on Reddit: Britni Husband. If you like fantasy and/or amigurumi, you simply must take a look! The amigurumi patterns she has written and hooked up are very expressive and detailed. She is an incredibly talented woman and I am very happy to feature her today.

Who taught you to crochet? How long have you been doing it? Why do you crochet?
My aunt taught me how to crochet as a teenager. I crochet because I enjoy the creation process. I have many creative hobbies - drawing, painting, sculpting, crochet, knitting, sewing, etc. you name it - if it’s creative- I love it. 

At the beginning of this year I stumbled across a pattern for a really cute crochet bunny. I decided to make it thinking they would be fun Easter gifts for my kids. After I finished it, my middle son asked me to make him a Stormtrooper so I started searching for a pattern. I couldn’t find one that was what I wanted so I decided to try one from scratch. I made notes as I went and my first crochet pattern was born. People started asking for the pattern so I organized my notes and published it.

I am a stay at home mom due to the fact that I have a little girl with multiple disabilities resulting from a stroke. I am always trying to find ways to earn extra money in hopes of getting additional therapy for her (she is non-verbal, legally blind and has no way to communicate at present) as well as starting a trust fund for her in the event anything happens to me. The patterns seemed like a good outlet to try to earn a little extra money so I began designing more and publishing them on Craftsy, Ravelry & Etsy. I currently have 12 patterns published. The most popular right now are Hobby the House Elf and Rooti the Mandrake Seedling inspired by Harry Potter characters as well as the Stormtrooper and Darth Vader.

Crochet favorites?
My favorite yarn site is The Yarn Barn which is my affiliate of  Yarn Paradise. I love a good deal and they are the best deal for yarn. I enjoy lots of different sites – Ravelry and Reddit r/crochet are among two of my favorites for crochet.

What are you working on right now? What is your next project?
I am currently working on a couple more Harry Potter inspired patterns – The Howler and The Cornish Pixie. I just finished the first of a new series of patterns called Little Hero. This one is Little Hero – Firefighter. He was inspired by the recent Oklahoma tornadoes and the firefighters who worked so hard on rescue, one of which is my brother.

I welcome suggestions on characters people want to see. Just recently, I published the Deku Scrub from Legend of Zelda based off such a request.

A few finished objects...
Hobby the House Elf – Suggested to me by my older daughter who is an huge Harry Potter fan, Hobby was my first big challenge. He is one of my most popular patterns and I have sold several custom plush as well.


Rooti the Mandrake Seedling – I like to do designs that are uncommon. The mandrake is really only a minor character in Harry Potter but so unique. It was fun creating a so ugly it's cute character! The pattern is available for him and I have a Mandrake Nursery in my Etsy store, The Specialty Shoppe where I sell custom Mandrake Seedlings complete with adoption papers in my Mandrake Nursery.


Boxer Bunny - Boxer Bunny was originally designed as a gift for a young lady battling breast cancer. The boxing motif is meant to represent the ongoing fight against breast cancer. The finished bunny stands about ten inches tall and the pattern includes instructions for the bunny, boxing gloves, robe and headband.


Britni is clearly an artist to follow! I have to admit, my personal favorite is the Deku Scrub. You can find Britni's patterns and more on Ravelry, Etsy, Craftsy, and Facebook.

If you or someone you know would like to be featured on a Friday Focus, don't hesitate to let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share! Note that due to spam moderation there is a delay in comment posting.