Pages

Friday, April 22, 2016

Hard Times and Lack of Crojo

I have been knitting a lot lately instead of crocheting. There are several reasons for this. The first is that I enjoy learning new things, and knitting is new to me. The second is that my current knitting project is a lot more portable than my current crochet projects. The final reason is...

Crochet for me is usually about design. I sometimes crochet from others' patterns, or maybe I'll freehand, but I usually crochet with the intent to create a pattern of my own. The creative process enthralls me, but it also takes a lot of energy. I haven't had a lot of energy or many creative thoughts since my brother passed away a few weeks ago. I basically lost my crojo, or 'crochet mojo.' So, I turned to knitting for a while, along with the comfort of following other people's patterns.


Today, I finally had a breakthrough. A few new design ideas came into my head and I started to get excited about them. I am hoping this means that I am slowly getting my crojo back.

What do you do when you've lost your crojo?

4 comments:

  1. When I lose my crojo I just make caps! I end up giving them to shelters and hospitals. It makes me feel successful and makes me happy to do a good deed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a really productive and compassionate thing to do.

      Delete
  2. I went through an extended period last year where I was too exhausted to pick up my crochet projects - like you, I often like to design for myself but all of my projects got to the stage where they needed some design decisions or documentation before moving on, or they were too complex for my tired brain to easily pick up at any time. I made a conscious decision to put the hook aside and spent time just looking through magazines, the web etc. without pressure to create anything for myself. I involved myself with all the other activities in my life until the energy and motivation returned. There is a comfort with following a pattern verbatim and I have reached for patterns that I had used before, easing into familiar, smaller projects. Healing takes time and I think it is very refreshing and rejuvenating to have a break and find the excitement of learning something new. New learning gives one a sense of achievement or progress when our other creative outlets feel like they are stagnating. Your experience looks totally normal to me! "The heart knows reason that the mind knows nothing of". Follow your heart at times like these. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your story. It always helps to know that others have been there and understand. <3

      Delete

Please share! Note that due to spam moderation there is a delay in comment posting.