Pages

Friday, April 15, 2016

Value Village Crochet

I love going to thrift stores. There have been times when I have visited them out of necessity and also times when I went for entertainment and the thrill of a treasure hunt. Being a deeply sentimental person, I enjoy thinking about the history of the objects and the people who may have use them before me.

I recently stopped by Value Village on the hunt for some home goods (I just love those lightweight, vintage Correll plates). Of course, the moment I was in the door I was completely distracted by the crochet I saw everywhere. Do you have crochet radar? I seem to see crochet everywhere I go. Many of the pieces that I saw were quite nice, and I was a bit sad to see that their original owners didn't want them. Let's take a moment to appreciate the work that went into them.












2 comments:

  1. There is nothing like the feel and aura of hand crafted work. It exudes personality unlike sterile machine knits. Like you, I am fascinated about the former lives of things one finds in thrift shops (colloquially called 'op-shops' in Australia, short for 'opportunity shops'). Good luck finding those hidden treasures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opportunity shops! That is a much better name for them. Treasure hunting has always been a joyful activity for me. I'm also a bit of a nostalgic dreamer, so I like to imagine the people who made/donated the item and what kind of life it had before it got to me. This same trait has also led me to collect antique/vintage bottles and keys, as well as some art nouveau jewelry.

      Delete

Please share! Note that due to spam moderation there is a delay in comment posting.