Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

Sometimes You Just Gotta Put Stuff On Your Head

I really like doilies and motifs. They embody all of the best things about crochet - it's light feeling, airy stitches, and beautiful stitch combinations. However, I have no idea what I would do with a doily after finishing it because I don't have any place to set a doily where it would be safe from little cat claws. Motifs are great...until you realize you need to make about a million of them to finish your blanket/table runner/curtain. Even so, I wanted to practice motif making. I chose one I liked from a book and whipped it up with some yarn that's been sitting around forever. When it was finished I decided to put it on my head.


I finished out my project by turning the motif into a hat. It has kind of a hippie or patchwork feel.




It's pretty unusual, but I like it. Have you ever done something unexpected with a doily or motif? I've seen wedding dresses made out of them! I've also seen folks use very large yarn to make them into rugs. I'm going to keep brainstorming new and exciting ways to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share! Note that due to spam moderation there is a delay in comment posting.