Pages

Friday, June 21, 2013

Friday Focus: Tamara Kelly

Hello lovelies! Something tells me you need some pops of color in your life this weekend. Let me introduce you to the talented Tamara Kelly and her bright, textured work. Tamara's patterns are varied and unique, and when I found them on Ravelry I knew I had to share them with you. Here's what she had to share with us this fine Friday.

Who taught you to crochet? How long have you been doing it?
My sister-in-law taught me how to chain and how to single crochet. It took about 10 minutes and that was it! I fell in love and taught myself the rest from books and videos. [I have been crocheting] since 2002, so about 11 years.

Why do you crochet?
I love crafts in general, and I love crochet in particular because it’s portable and practical. And it’s versatile - I can go from a project that’s a no-brainer to something that takes a ton of concentration, whatever I’m in the mood for!


Crochet Favorites
I have an old stitch guide that’s out of print - 300 Crochet Stitches (The Harmony Guides, V. 6). It taught me how to read a chart, how to do all the different stitches, and inspires me to this day. It’s my prized possession!


What are you working on right now? What is your next project?
What I’m working on right now is a lightweight and lacy scarf worked in Fingering weight - free pattern for it coming very soon! After that it’s a special request for my daughter, based on the Leaping Stripes and Blocks Blanket.

A few finished objects...
This is the pattern that started it all! It’s actually the second pattern I ever wrote, but it’s probably the most popular pattern as well. Moogly actually started as a commission business before I started writing down my designs, and I made dozens of these! Now I prefer to write the patterns and let others make their own.


The Artfully Simple Infinity Scarf is another popular pattern. Perfect for beginners, it forgives almost any mistake and comes out looking great! People message me all the time sharing how much they love it, and I love reading their notes.


Earlier this year I led my first ever Crochet-A-Long, and to add to the fun it was a mystery! No one knew what they were making until the last day, and it was so funny reading all the guesses as people completed each day’s section. I hope to do another one soon - the trick is coming up with a pattern that’s so sneaky until the end!


Such fun patterns! Check out Tamara's blog where she shares all of her free patterns, roundups, video tutorials and more. She would also like you to know that there’s a thriving and active community of crocheters (and a few knitters) on the Moogly Facebook page! It’s a great place to comment, ask questions, and interact with other crafters. Moogly goodness can also be found on Ravelry, Pinterest, Twitter, and Tumblr. If I had to pick a favorite pattern, I would have to go with her Shark Time Pouch! It's so cute and different. Thank you, Tamara Kelly, for brightening up our day with your delightful crochet!

If you or someone you know would like to be featured on an upcoming Friday, please contact me at illuminatecrochet@gmail.com.

1 comment:

  1. I ENJOY ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS AND CAN'T WAIT FOR ANOTHER ONE OF YOUR BLOGS. MANY THANKS PAM WIDTH

    ReplyDelete

Please share! Note that due to spam moderation there is a delay in comment posting.