Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Yarn Bombing

Yarn bombing is the act of altering public spaces with crochet or knit fabric, usually by wrapping or overlay. Popular items to yarn bomb seem to be stop sign posts, tree trunks, statues, benches, and bike racks. This form of public art is gaining a significant following. I personally have never done this, but sometimes I consider it. I suppose I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. Here is a crochet yarn bomb I stumbled upon while visiting friends in my hometown of Boise, Idaho. It is by the Grove fountain.


Is it art or is it vandalism? I'm inclined to think the former. It doesn't damage the surface it is attached to like spray paint might. It can be removed with the snip of a scissors if necessary. One of my favorite things about yarn bombing is the feeling of whimsy that it brings to public spaces, hopefully brightening the day of some random, over-worked passerby. What do you think? Do you have any experience with yarn bombing? Let us know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share! Note that due to spam moderation there is a delay in comment posting.