Pages

Friday, June 13, 2014

Remix Friday: Seaside Theme Blanket to Annabel's Design

Hey, all! It's Remix Friday, the time when we celebrate creative crocheters who go above and beyond the patterns. I've already had such a great time sharing these special projects with you. Some of the stories are just so sweet that they need no introduction, like today's story of Mary, Annabel, and a wonderful crochet blanket. Here's how the Seaside Theme Blanket came to be.

The Crocheter
My name is Mary Walker and I have always liked to craft.  I used to knit when my children were young and then went onto cross stitch.  About 4 years ago I went back to crocheting and joined Ravelry and have been crocheting ever since.   My mum taught me to crochet when I was a young girl.

The Original Pattern
Noah's Ark Blanket by Michele Wilcox 

The Story
I have a long suffering husband of 35 years, 4 children [3 girls, 1 boy], and 5 grandchildren [2 girls 3 boys].   The blanket was made for Annabel who is my oldest grandchild, she is 9 and she designed the blanket after seeing all of the Noah's Ark blankets that I have made for all new family babies. She is a big fan of all things made by her Mummy or Nana.  Her Mum, my eldest daughter Libby also crochets and is on Ravelry.   I have put a photo of Annabel's design/drawing on my Ravelry page, also a photo of Annabel with her blanket.

The Remix
The changes I made are really what Annabel wanted.   To include herself, her brother William and her cousins Eva, Sonny, Oscar and Owen.  I enlarged the fish and turtle patterns, as the blanket was on a larger scale.  Annabel wanted a seahorse, starfish, beach umbrella, sun and clouds, so that is what she got.   She really loves her blanket and she made me a beautiful butterfly wind-chime in art class for me as a thank you. 






Crochet is... I LIVE CROCHET!

[Here is] my Ravelry Project Page where people can see my work.

Do check out her page! She has tons of awesome detail pictures of the blanket. It just tickles me to no end to feature this blanket today. What a beautiful family project. Wishing happiness to you and yours, Mary! Great job.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Sara, I will show Annabel your website, she will be so pleased to see her blanket on there.
    Best wishes, Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again for sharing with us today! Hi there, Annabel! I hope you have a great summer break off from school :)

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    Do you have a pattern available to purchase for this? My little boy loves the beach and this would be perfect. Please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link to the original pattern is in the post above, but the ocean-themed version was a remix by a creative crocheter.

      Delete

Please share! Note that due to spam moderation there is a delay in comment posting.