Do you have a little crochet buddy? A ball of fur who keeps you company as you work? If so, you'll probably be tempted at some point to crochet them something of their very own. Here are some tips to help you out as you make a gift for kitty.
- Never leave cats unattended to play with balls of yarn. If they decide to eat it the yarn could cause problems in their intestines. Instead, supervise play and then put the yarn ball out of reach until next time.
- When making toy mice or other toys that have strings hanging, reinforce the tails and tassels so they aren't easily chewed off and swallowed.
- As with babies, eyes on stuffed animals made for cats should either be safety eyes or sewn on. Never use small beads or buttons on a project for cats.
- If you can possibly do so, choose washable materials for cat toys.
- Avoid very lacy items for cats as their paws/claws may become tangled or stuck in the holes.
- Cats love textures so choose an interesting stitch pattern.
- There is some research to suggest that cats prefer cool colors such as green, blue, and purple, so choosing those colors of yarn for your project might please kitty.
- If you're making a stuffed item for your cat you may wish to lace the stuffing with catnip.
Have you crocheted something for your cat that they enjoyed? Let us know about it in the comments.