Pages

Friday, June 5, 2015

Fiber Arts Friday: Quilting with Phyllis Prom


The first Friday of every month is Fiber Arts Friday! Join me as we expand our horizons beyond crochet to focus on other interesting fiber and needle arts. Enjoy the beautiful projects and learn something new along the way. Today we will be taking a look at the gorgeous art quits made by Phyllis Prom. What is quilting? "Quilting is the process of sewing of two or more layers of material together to make a thicker padded material, usually to create a quilt or quilted garments. The whole process of creating a quilt or quilted garment also involves other steps such as designing, piecing, appliqué, and binding." Prepare yourself to see some truly inspirational quilts. Take it away, Phyllis!

About Phyllis
"I was born and raised in the Pacific Northwest where my husband and I raised two beautiful children, a girl and a boy. We have 6 wonderful grandchildren. I am retired. I love to go on long drives and take a lot of photographs to use in my art work."

How long have you been quilting? How did you get started?
"I have been quilting for 52 years and making art quilts for 11 years. I had never made an art quilt before and with no art history I started making the landscape art quilts after my husband passed away from cancer. He was an outdoorsman, rode horses, and we would go on long drives on the weekends."

What advice do you have for folks who are interested in quilting?
"Find something you love to do, read about it, take classes and do the best you can do at it and it will be very rewarding. I don't just mean financially, it will feed your soul and make you very happy."

Here is some of her work...








Wow. Just wow. If you'd like to see more of these lovely quilts, check out her Etsy shop. Thank you so much for sharing with us today, Phyllis! If you'd like more information about quilting, check out about.com's info.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share! Note that due to spam moderation there is a delay in comment posting.