Pages

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Mandalas for Marinke

So, there's an important event going on in the fiber world right now that I've been too quiet about. Mandalas for Marinke is a project that is being compiled by Kathryn Vercillo of Crochet Concupiscence. Her goal is to raise awareness and support for depression and those who struggle with it. This has all happened in the wake of the suicide of Wink, a crochet personality who struggled with depression. I have struggled with depression myself, so I can deeply appreciate the message behind this collaborative project.


To participate in the project all you need to do is craft one of Wink's crochet mandala designs and then send it to Kathryn. She has recently extended the postmark deadline to October 15th. I will be following suit and crafting a mandala to send as well. Here are all of the details for the project.

If you are out there struggling with depression, you are not alone. Sometimes life can feel overwhelming or even empty. There are people out there who care about you, people who understand, and people who can help. If you are someone who is looking to understand depression so that you can be more helpful to your friends and loved ones, I think that these comics by Allie Brosh are a great place to start.

4 comments:

  1. Just to say that if gluton is taken out of the diet it helps a lot with depression, I know this as I also suffer from it if I eat the wrong things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing the project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to learn that you have struggled with depression. May the sun always be shining for you! Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. Many people experience depression at least once in their lives. I've dealt with a higher-than-average number of the items on the Holmes-Rahe Stress Inventory (http://www.stress.org/holmes-rahe-stress-inventory/) in the past few years, so I'm hoping that there is a light at the end of this tunnel. All we can do is what we can do <3

      Delete

Please share! Note that due to spam moderation there is a delay in comment posting.