Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

Friday Focus: Maya Kuzman

Spring is getting closer, I can feel it. Can you? This has been such a difficult winter in the states and I can imagine that many folks are as eager to see springtime as I am. We've still got a little while to wait but the lovely purple crocuses popping up and the buds on the cherry trees allude to wonderful things. Flowers truly bring nature's glad tidings. I love flowers, all kinds of flowers. Dahlias, crocuses, roses, carnations, peonies, hydrangeas, sweet william, flowers, flowers, flowers! I'm sure we'll get plenty of those spring showers here in Seattle, too.

Why do I like flowers so much? They're fragile. They smell good. They bring a little color to the world. And...they're pretty! Perhaps you'll recall my previous post on pretty things. Well, have I got a treat for you today. There I was messing about on Ravelry, a favorite activity of mine, looking for new patterns to add to my queue as if I didn't have a full queue to begin with. All of a sudden, there they were. Pretties! Flowers, sweet colors, delights. Spring captured in yarn. Further investigation was a necessity. Let's just click the designer's name and... ooh! Such beautiful little treasures! At once I knew I had to bring them here to you, dear readers. Happily Maya Kuzman, today's featured designer, is as delightful as her patterns. Her brand is aptly named: The Little Treasures Shop. She has recently been featured in Simply Crochet magazine and she is here with us today to share her thoughts and show her lovely work.

Who taught you to crochet? How long have you been doing it?
I grew up in a family where traditions were deeply rooted and respected and handwork was highly appreciated, praised, and practiced. Both my grandmothers were proficient in what I like to call handmade art – one was a professional seamstress, the other masterful crocheter and knitter. I readily accepted the love they shared for sewing and crocheting and started paving the way of my handmade life, only to find out soon that crochet is the one that makes my heart skip a beat. 

Having been hooked by the wonderful crochet creations that leapt into life through the magical hands of my grandmother I became deeply enamoured with the enchanting ‘twist and turn’ dance of the yarn with the hook. So in my teenage years, my grandma introduced me to the very basic crochet stitches, and since she was mostly crocheting “Romanian Point Lace” projects, which had a spider web quality and appearance of course, at first I was put off by it and didn’t think I could use the thinnest thread possible to make something. And I stuck to knitting and sewing until I had my second baby. And suddenly, on the internet I saw a scarf with crocheted flowers. And the urge to make one myself was the avalanche that pushed me forward. And I’ve been doing it for almost a decade now.

Why do you crochet?
I love crochet because it is my tool to capture and express the fairytale-like world that I feel within myself. Crochet is the medium through which I combine relaxation and beauty. It is my vent from the hectic daily activities and also a tool with which I create enchanting and eye-catching accessories through which I strive to express my love for the beautiful world, to show the rainbow of my soul and the whims of my imagination.

For me crocheting is not simply a hobby or a recreational activity. It is the tool for preserving tradition, making my own clothes and accessories, embellishing my home. It also contributes to my pledge to live an environmentally conscious life. The yarn I use is mostly organic and when something loses its attractiveness or I just get bored with it I can unstitch it and re-use the yarn to make another lovely thing. In a word – it makes my world richer and more meaningful.


Crochet Favorites
My favourite hook is the one with which I have created almost all the things in my shop and that is the famous 1.9mm one. Favourite working yarns include DK and worsted cottons. I am entranced by Japanese crochet and love the Keito Dama and Let’s Knit Magazines, then there is the Simple Crochet and Crochet Today, just to name a few. 

What are you working on right now?
I always work on multiple projects at one time. Right now I am working on a baby set patterns which would be the perfect gift for new mothers, then there is a collection of boutonnieres and a spring headband. The crochet kiln is never at rest!  

A few finished objects...
The crocheted tube necklaces made quite a stir and the pattern for them is still the most demanded. 


The Forget –Me-Not Headband involves my favourite flowers – the pattern is free and I am sure you’ll love making it. They can be used as brooches or made into hairpins. Or you can freshen up an old tee by adding a couple of these to the neckline.


The Blue Flower Necklace is the type of necklace I enjoy making. Lots of lovely flowers and leaves arranged to make a unique piece of crocheted art. 


Pretty patterns and pretty words! To get the full experience you ought to visit Maya's Ravelry page. My favorite designs are her Vintage Collar Necklace and her African Violet Bracelet. You can also find her work on her blog, Etsy, Pinterest, and Facebook. Thank you so much for visiting us today, Maya. Now, if you'll all excuse me, I'm about to go pin every darn thing she's ever posted on her blog to my Pinterest board. ;)

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Sara!
    It has been a great pleasure talking about crochet here on your wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It was fabulous to have you here :)

      Delete
  2. Maya is great!!!! I love her work, too!!!!
    xxxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Her work is just lovely. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. I've been familiar with Maya's stunningly beautiful work for quite some time now, and she never ceases to amaze me
    with her enormous creativity. The jewelry she makes! Gosh, so beautiful!
    Ira’s Crea Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a new fan :) I'll have to follow her work from now on!

      Delete
  4. I love Maya's creativity and her wonderful work! I'm also a crochet lover since my 4 years old :)
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how crochet can bring people together from so many different places across the globe. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Please share! Note that due to spam moderation there is a delay in comment posting.