Pages

Friday, May 16, 2014

Remix Friday: "Hook" Hook Case

I have a lot of respect for people who are bistitchual. Also referred to as multicraftual, which sometimes includes crafts outside of needle arts, bistitchual people are proficient in both knitting and crochet. My forays into knitting haven't gone so well, but I'm not giving up hope! It's especially motivating when I see awesome hybrid projects like today's featured Remix. Kristy's crocheted Hook Hook Case goes from simple utility to truly inspired with her special knitted addition. Take a look!

The Crocheter
My name is Kristy.  I have my BA in Textiles, and I teach different kinds of textile classes to both children and adults.  My main teaching focus right now is crochet (I teach 3 to 4 crochet classes a week - depending on the week).

The Original Pattern
Aluminum Crochet Hook Case by Priscilla Hewitt

The Story 
This hook case was for me, and it has been a real conversation starter.  The reason why I made it was that there was a challenge in one of the Ravelry challenge groups that I was in at the time.  I don't remember what the challenge was, I just remember what my inspiration was.  I was a member of a Disney team, so my tie in had to have something to do with Disney.  I was watching Jake and the Neverland Pirates while crocheting the case, and it was an episode about Captain Hook's hooks being stolen by an orange octopus.  Bingo!  I knew that I wanted to add an orange octopus to the case and call it Hook's hook case.  I love that I was able to combine both knitting and crochet together, and that I could control what the octopus looked like on the case (how I sewed the tentacles).

The Remix
I followed the pattern exactly.  The inside plastic canvas is brown, because the store was out of black at the time.  What I added to the pattern was a knitted orange octopus around the outside of it.  I also added a black snap button to keep it closed.




Crochet is... fast, easy, and fun.

Incredible. I have a soft spot for octopi because they are so intelligent and mysterious. Certainly sneaky enough to steal those hooks! What a beautiful bridge between knit and crochet. For more crafty goodness check out Kristy's blog, YouTube channel, Facebook group, and website. Thank you so much for showing and telling today, Kristy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share! Note that due to spam moderation there is a delay in comment posting.