Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Yarn Review: Celestial Strings

Celestial Strings is a new indie yarn brand by dyer and shopkeeper Angela Moon. I recently had the opportunity to test out two of her yarns. Score! Since I love all things space, hence the name of my own brand and the appearance of my blog, I was all too excited for my yarn to arrive. It was worth the wait! I got two adorable little sample hanks, one worsted and one DK. I wish I had thought to take a picture of them in their cute little hank form, but I was apparently too focused on getting down to business. Here's what I did with them. Side note: This is my honest opinion and I am not being compensated in any way for writing this review.

The worsted weight yarn was so squishy and inviting that I immediately thought of making a hat with it. Here's my tiny hat swatch. I should have included a scale object. This little guy is only about as big as my hand. The yarn was really smooth to work with, no snags at all. The colorway is Cosmos. Love it! I have totally been wishing for a tweedy yarn that has tasteful built-in white star flecks (no, really!), so I totally adore it.

Here's a closeup to show more of the colors. I had a hard time capturing them. It's just gorgeous in person. I think I'll end up frogging this swatch and trying to make something useable out of the yarn because I really don't want it to go to waste.

Since I worked in the round for the worsted I decided to work in rows to test the DK. It worked up just as smoothly as the other. This colorway is Quasar. I like the worsted better but that's just because I'm a worsted or bulky weight kind of girl in general.

I turned my DK swatch into this sweet little bow. It is going to become either a hair clip or a pin, I haven't quite decided yet. And guess what? This isn't going to get sold in my Etsy store. I'm keeping this one for myself because I like this space yarn so much!

I have no complaints about this yarn and I intend to purchase some in the future. I may even design with it! Celestial Strings is certainly a brand to watch. As far as I can tell Angela is still setting up shop and ramping up, and I can't wait to see the awesome colorways she comes up with as time goes on. Thanks for the samples, Angela! I had a great time experimenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share! Note that due to spam moderation there is a delay in comment posting.